The Hero’s Journey
With Doug Duncan and Catherine Pawasarat
June 4 - 7, 2020
The Hero’s Journey
This popular retreat offers a powerful mythical journey experience. Accepting the challenge of the Hero’s Journey opens the door to discovering a healthier, strengthened self that is more fully integrated with the ‘shadow’.
What is The Hero’s Journey?
For most of us, the ego is locked in a life-and-death struggle with the shadow. We’re continually pulled back and forth between the excitement of exploration on the one hand, and the fear of abandonment and rejection on the other.
The Hero’s Journey is the valiant path the hero/heroine undertakes to assimilate ego and shadow. By tapping into inner, previously unknown gifts and inner resources, one can triumph over lifelong challenges.
When you explore and meditate on the powerful archetypes that help to organize the unconscous, in place of your habitual objects of attention, you provide a halfway house for your object addiction. In this way, the Hero’s Journey slowly reveals to you the essential nature of reality – the ground of being. These insights are only accessible through direct experience – also known as ‘pure perception.’
What is The Shadow?
What do we mean by ‘shadow’? Our shadow aspects are the unconscious patterns and views that affect our behavior, decisions and intentions to the extent that we’re not acting consciously for the benefit of ourselves or others.
For most of us, the ego is locked in a continual struggle with the shadow: it determines whether we like or dislike people, situations and things, without realizing why or being conscious of our responses.
In terms of lifetime patterns, we may be undermining our relationships, blocking our growth, and limiting our spiritual unfoldment and thus our ability to benefit others.
It doesn’t have to be all bad news – we can choose to take a look at what’s really going on under the surface.
Once we commit to the challenge to release the energy locked in the shadow, imagine the fountain of energy that becomes available to us then!
Embark on your Hero’s Journey
In this retreat, support your inner hero or heroine to undertake a courageous journey through the archetypes. The aim: not to destroy the shadow, but to integrate it with the ego – releasing a healthy, or awakening, human being.
What’s Expected of Me if I Come to This Retreat?
- An open mind and heart, and a spirit of adventure are excellent things to bring!
- It’s human to have some apprehensions about doing something new, meeting new people, or going to a new place. Particularly when all three happen together. We try to make this as supportive as possible.
- When exploring our growth edges, it’s natural to feel uncertain and awkward. And it’s very fruitful to transform that emotional tension into creative energy by drawing on your own inner resources – such as inquiry, going with the flow, and self-reflection, just a few of the many kinds of constructive engagement.
- To maximize your learning, we ask that you refrain from reading, using the internet or listening to music during the course. We make an exception for journaling, course assignments and group celebration.
- Lastly, our teaching operates based on the ancient tradition of dāna or generosity. Please learn more about this profound practice before you register.
Dharma Teachers Doug Duncan and Catherine Pawasarat teach meditation and act as spiritual mentors to students internationally and at their retreat center in BC, Canada. Having lived overseas…
Learn more about Doug Duncan and Catherine Pawasarat